twtxt is a decentralised, minimalist microblogging service for hackers.
So you want to get some thoughts out on the internet in a convenient and slick way while also following the gibberish of others? Instead of signing up at a closed and/or regulated microblogging platform, getting your status updates out with twtxt is as easy as putting them in a publicly accessible text file. The URL pointing to this file is your identity, your account. twtxt then tracks these text files, like a feedreader, and builds your unique timeline out of them, depending on which files you track. The format is simple, human readable, and integrates well with UNIX command line utilities.
tl;dr: twtxt is a CLI tool, as well as a format specification for self-hosted flat file based microblogging.
- A beautiful command-line interface thanks to click.
- Asynchronous HTTP requests thanks to asyncio/aiohttp and Python 3.
- Integrates well with existing tools (scp, cut, echo, date, etc.) and your shell.
- Don’t like the official client? Tweet using
echo -e "`date +%FT%T%:z`\tHello world!" >> twtxt.txt!
Check out the full documentation at: http://twtxt.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
- twtxt IRC channel: #twtxt on irc.libera.chat
- A curated list of active twtxt users by yarn.social: https://git.mills.io/yarnsocial/we-are-twtxt
- A web-based directory of twtxt users by reednj: http://twtxt.reednj.com/
- A web-based twtxt feed hoster for the masses by plomlompom: https://github.com/plomlompom/htwtxt
- A twtxt-to-atom converter in sh by erlehmann: http://news.dieweltistgarnichtso.net/bin/twtxt2atom
- A twitter-to-twtxt converter in node.js by DracoBlue: https://gist.github.com/DracoBlue/488466eaabbb674c636f
- A port to node.js / npm by Melvin Carvalho: https://github.com/webize/twtxt
- A patched version of TweetNest, which serves TweetNest archives in twtxt format, by texttheater: https://github.com/texttheater/tweetnest/tree/feat/twtxt
- A twtxt registry api by DracoBlue: https://registry.twtxt.org
- A twtxt client written in perl by mdom: https://github.com/mdom/txtnix
- A twtxt client with minimal dependencies by mdom: https://github.com/mdom/txtnish
- A twtxt client written in C by dertuxmalwieder: https://hub.darcs.net/dertuxmalwieder/twtxtc
- A read-only timeline of the last 3000 tweets via gopher by trqx: gopher://shroom.party/1/twtxt
- A bot for using twtxt over xmpp by mdosch: https://salsa.debian.org/mdosch-guest/goxtxt
- twtxt registry server written in Go by gbmor: https://github.com/gbmor/getwtxt-ng
- A twtxt parsing library written in Rust by gbmor: https://github.com/rustwtxt/rustwtxt
- A twtxt WordPress plugin, that provides the blog-posts as twtxt file, written by pfefferle: https://github.com/pfefferle/wordpress-twtxt
- A twtxt client for Emacs by deadblackclover: https://github.com/deadblackclover/twtxt-el
- An php interface for publishing to your selfhosted twtxt.txt by sorenpeter: https://github.com/sorenpeter/phpub2twtxt/
- A graphical twtxt client written in Tcl/Tk, RSS-to-twtxt converter, and mentions extractor by dbohdan: https://gitlab.com/dbohdan/twtxt.tcl
twtxt is released under the MIT License. See the bundled LICENSE file for details.